Mac App Store Refund in 6 Steps: How to Get a Refund for any macOS App

How to get a refund for Mac App Store purchases and in-app purchases isn't clear, but it is possible within 2-7 days!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.supereasyapps.com/mac-app-store-refund-in-6-steps-how-to-get-a-refund-for-any-macos-app/

Ok, so I downloaded an app which had a 3 day free trial - then £33.99 for a years subscription. Things happened and I completely forgot to uninstall…next thing you know I get a receipt from Apple. I immediately went and uninstalled the app and then tried to claim a refund - but it seemed I just went round and round in circles on iTunes etc and was unable to ask for a refund. So I left it a few days and tried again today.
I was able this time to click on the ‘ask for a refund’ - I typed a short polite message - but was instantly rejected with the words ‘We’ve determined that your purchase does not meet the conditions for a refund.’ There was no we will get back to you. It was an instantaneous thing.
I could argue that I wasn’t reminded of the payment due, which I wasn’t.
But short of clicking the ‘I didn’t authorise this payment’ I don’t know what to do. There doesn’t seem to be a simple way of getting a refund. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your time,
Steve